[CT Birds] Bluff Point

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 13 13:48:17 EDT 2012

Phil Rusch, Glenn Williams, myself and a couple of others were at the hot corner for a couple of hours this morning.  As expected, given the movement seen on last night's radar, lots of birds were moving.  Nothing very unusual, although we did have 9 rusty blackbirds.  My counts, as usual, are undoubtedly on the low side as I make no attempt to extrapolate for what I miss (which is a lot on a day like today when birds are going through high, low, and behind the observers).

Highlights: 130 flickers, 1 sapsucker, 1 pewee, 53 phoebes, 135 blue jays, 1 house wren, ~50 golden-crowned kinglets, ~25 Catharus thrushes (13 hermit, 2 Swainson's and 1 "gray-cheeked" type), >2700 robins, 5 species of warblers (with 620 yellow-rumpeds making up the vast majority), 9 species of sparrows (including 920 white-throateds, 2150 juncos, Lincoln's, white-crowned, and 3 field) and about 40 each of purple finches and siskins.

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net