[CT Birds] Lighthouse Saturday October 13: 152 Hawks + Eveneing Grosbeaks

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 13 17:24:56 EDT 2012

The light NW winds went onshore by around 1 pm.  Half the am hawks were "down low", and some were even chasing the thousands of migrants.  Birds moving today included Canada Goose 240, Brant 464 (mostly 2 large skeins), GB Heron 1, Mute Swan 5, Killdeer 4, AMERICAN WOODCOCK 1, N Flicker many (including 9 migrating and one complete albino), Tree Swallow 600, Am Pipit 10, Am Robin 300, E Bluebird 5, WB Nuthatch 8, unid. Finch 500+, Purple Finch 190, House Finch 130, Am Goldfinch 205, Pine Siskin 460, EVENING GROSBEAK 4, YR Warbler 55+, BH Cowbird 300, RW Blackbird 600.

Oh, and a few Blue Jays....

What will tomorrow bring?  I know there's no reason to believe that there are many hawks left in the pipeline.  But it's still peak season and if these moderate SW winds persist, we could get some accipiters and a quite a few falcons.

Steve Mayo