[CT Birds] Little Gull Island Needs Our Support

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Sun Oct 14 00:00:50 EDT 2012

Little Gull Island is up for bid and it's important that people are aware of the possible plans.  The use of this small but important island can greatly impact Great Gull Island which is next to Little Gull, and beyond.
This is an update I received today.  There is a link to an article in the New Haven Register and a link to a where you can get updates or help.  Please take a minute to write  an email to the person listed below.

New London Maritime Society Susan Tamulevich posted an announcement 23 hours ago

We fear the high bidders may be intending to lease Little Gull Island to stage wave-energy testing in the Race. The island’s fragile habitat—which impacts that of great Gull and Plum Islands— cannot sustain that.
This article explains the situation:
http://www.yourpublicmedia.org/content/wnpr/tid...
If no additional bids are made, the auction for Little Gull ends in eleven hours — but that is not the final word. We believe, per the law, the GSA has the power to accept the bid most in line with the intent of the national Lighthouse Protection Act. On Thursday, our coalition offered to pay $150,000 for the property, have the New London Maritime Society preserve the lighthouse and the US Fish & Wildlife manage the island’s fragile habitat.
Please contact the GSA directly,before the decision is made, and let them know what you think: Contact: Gabrielle Sigel, GSA
Phone: 617-565-5700
Fax: 617-565-5720
gabrielle.sigel at gsa.gov

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012/10/09/news/doc5074b1dad2ae0673767104.txt