[CT Birds] Sometimes plans work out!

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:28:57 EDT 2012

Last fall we tore up all the deer decimated Rhododenrons and Azaleas and
put in plantings of what I hoped were deer resistant, bird friendly, native
plants, among them Myrica pensylvanica (Bayberry).  Today we saw two
Yellow-rumped Warblers also known as Myrtle Warblers feeding on the
new Bayberry bushes!  Probably you all know that the name Myrtle Warbler is
derived from the fact that they survive after insects are gone by feeding
on shrubs of the Myrica genus or Myrtle family, like Bayberry and Wax
Myrtle.  I love it when a plan comes together.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut