[CT Birds] 100 Mystic siskins

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 19:53:04 EDT 2012

I know that siskin reports are becoming mundane, but after getting our first yard siskins on 10/8, we have seen numbers build to about 100 today.  I have no idea how much turnover there is, but it was fun to see so many siskins all around the yard.  A handful of Purple Finch and Red-breasted Nuthatches are also present daily.  We don't generally get lingering or even feeding boreal irruptives in the yard.  They are generally heard or seen during morning flight and that is it.  For example, during the last Red-breasted Nuthatch invasion, they were heard almost every morning that had favorable winds from mid-August until early November but only a few were ever seen at the feeder and only briefly.  We have a great location (coastal high-elevation point near the mouth of a river) to pull in nocturnal migrants at dawn but it doesn't seem to hold them.  Several great vagrants (Rufous Hummingbird, Western Tanager) have showed up in the yard but then
 settled in at better locations nearby.  I'm not sure what it means that all of these irruptives are hanging out this year, but I am enjoying it.

Glenn Williams
Mystic

-