[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - 563 Raptors - 119 RS Hawks, 1 Northern Goshawk

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Wed Oct 17 20:52:45 EDT 2012

Hi All,

An incredible day at the watch today. Stunning crisp blue skies covered with a beautiful gossamer thin shroud of cirrus clouds. Light north westerly winds switched to the southwest just after one I guess but the birds, though thinned out, kept coming. A nice Red-shouldered Hawk flight is one for the true hawkwatching connoisseur, I once had Frank Nicoletti drive 19hrs non stop from MN to join us for one up at Braddock Bay this spring. Today we were treated to a nice flight of over 100 of these stunning raptors in little pockets of birds. The sky, the nice relaxed flight and some good company made for another amazing day in what is becoming quite the season here at Quaker: 24,000 raptors, over 200 Bald Eagles, 4 Golden Eagles and today our first Northern Goshawk right over the watch.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich