[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Blue Grosbeak vs Chinese Mantis

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Thu Oct 18 10:23:10 EDT 2012

Hi All,

A nice start to the day when we picked up the distinctive metallic chip of a Blue Grosbeak out in the field here at Quaker. After Catherine Hamilton and I tracked the bird down we suddenly spotted a Chinese Mantis hone into view which landed near the Grosbeak. The Grosbeak took off and with a few careful lunges with it's bill knocked the mantis down, grabbed it and then flew off to devour it. Pretty damn cool. Hoping a couple of snaps that Catherine got will turn out OK. I'll post them on my blog later if so.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich

>From Luke Tiller and Catherine Hamilton:

10/18/12 - Greenwich, Audubon Greenwich, Quaker Ridge -- 10 AM: BLUE GROSBEAK with Chinese mantis prey