[CT Birds] Saw-whet Owl migration, banding in MA

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 19 09:40:51 EDT 2012

« Newer  |  Older »
Subject: Saw-whet Owl banding
Date: Thu Oct 18 2012 7:02 am
From: skwheelock AT yahoo.com

We have started our Saw-whet Owl banding at the Lincoln, Ma and Lookout Rock
site for 2 weeks weather permitting. After a slow beginning due to the mild
weather and southerly winds, some rain, this past week both sites have been
catching double digit number of owls - last Friday each site had 16 owls and the
NW wind shift on Tuesday brought nonstop owls all evening - every 1/2 hour we
were collecting 4 to 6 owls in the nets - the Lincoln site had a final total of
47 owls and Lookout Rock had 27 owls for a total of 74 owls for the evening. If
we didn't have real jobs and were willing to go into the AM hours, the total
would have been amazing since our last run was still catching several owls. Last
night the milder evening only caught 18 owls at both Lookout Rock and Lincoln in
3.5 hours of banding.
 The total between the sites is about 180 owls banded - only 1 foreign recapture
which was the Lincoln site recapturing a Saw-whet that Lookout Rock banded 2
years ago as a HY. As always, females are the majority of the owls caught - last
night we caught our 1st three males for the season [probably due to the fact
that we use a male Saw-whet call to attract the owls]. The exciting thing this
year is the high number of HY [Hatching Year] owls - all very large and healthy
birds compared to last years extremely low number of migrating owls and  a lower
percentage of young birds. Lookout Rock and Lincoln in only 2 weeks have already
surpassed last years total banded birds for each site and we have another 3 to 4
weeks to go. As these cold fronts come in following Southerly winds, the owls
will be riding these winds through New England.

 Strickland Wheelock
 Uxbridge, Ma

Hide »
GREGNEISE #ABArare - Wood Sandpiper - Rhode Island - UPDATED - ABA
Blogblog.aba.org/2012/10/abarar…
4 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
rostamam #ABArare - Wood Sandpiper - Rhode Islandblog.aba.org/2012/10/abarar…
4 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
The_CityOfRoses Arts And Crafts Top story: #ABArare - Wood Sandpiper - Rhode
Island - ABA Blogblog.aba.org/2012/10/abarar…, see
moretweetedtimes.com/The_CityOfRose…
5 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
Birdingblogs via @BirdingMagazine#ABArare - Wood Sandpiper - Rhode
Island bit.ly/WinazE#birdwatching
5 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
inkednaturalist RT @ABA #ABArare- Wood Sandpiper - Rhode Island: Carlos Pedro is
at it again. You may recall t... bit.ly/W6zG70 at inkednaturalist
5 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
NC_N8 New ABA post - #ABArare - Wood Sandpiper - Rhode Island: Carlos Pedro is
at it again. You may recall that he dis... bit.ly/W6zHYy
5 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
DawnFine Via ABA Blog #ABArare - Wood Sandpiper - Rhode
Islandbit.ly/W6zHYy #Birds @DawnFine
5 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
inkednaturalist RT @ABA #ABArare- Cassin's Sparrow - Oregon: Oregon has a new
addition to the state list (pend... bit.ly/Q1YQfW at inkednaturalist
7 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
DawnFine Via ABA Blog #ABArare - Cassin's Sparrow -
Oregonbit.ly/TC640p #Birds @DawnFine
7 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
Birdingblogs via @BirdingMagazine#ABArare - Cassin's Sparrow -
Oregon bit.ly/R0sIM5 #birdwatching