[CT Birds] Extralimital: GRAY-TAILED TATTLER on Nantucket

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:48:29 EDT 2012

This just in, pulled from Massbird.

Subject: GRAY-TAILED TATTLER - Nantucket
Date: Fri Oct 19 2012 14:35 pm
From: miliff AT aol.com

Found (brief 5 sec view before it flew!) by Jeremiah Trimble yesterday
evening, relocated today, photographed, and confirmed by voice.
Apparently in harbor area but has not been seen. An amazing first
record for the East Coast and maybe just second for the Lower 48 (one
accepted CA record).

This weekend is the Nantucket Birding Festival so there will be much
effort spent to refind it and we'll surely post again if it settles
down. I think it was seen refound around 10:30 am and then flew off at
11am, with no sightings since.

Exciting! And major kudos to Jeremiah for finding it by call and
recognizing it in a split second view!

Best,

Marshall Iliff