[CT Birds] COA Sparrow Workshop - Bunting species

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Oct 20 14:11:16 EDT 2012

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who came on the trip, especially Joe Bear and Brian O'Toole for the help co-leading - although there were a lot of good birders there chipping in with sightings and ID advice to the less experienced. It was great fun with species as noted before. I might round up numbers of White-crowned - almost the most abundant species there and the Vespers were everywhere and hard to pin down numbers wise but never more than three at one as I recall.

However probably the most interesting bird was the one that got away. Seen originally by John Oshlick., all I could get as far as an ID was bunting species on brief views. The difference between Indigo and Lazuli is intricate - the bird was most likely an Indigo which leant towards the brighter end of the spectrum. The bird had a seemingly unstreaked and fairly bright breast, wing bars (buffy) and  blue wash on wings and tail, which aren't definitive for either species but overall gave the bird an interesting feel. After our very brief views we tried to relocate it but were unsuccessful. If anyone is at Allen's later today though keep your eyes peeled - better looks or a photo of this individual would be nice and maybe educational at least.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich