[CT Birds] identifying White-crowned Sparrow subspecies

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 15:18:55 EDT 2012

John & all,

The ID of the more central/western-breeding 'gambelii' White-crowned
Sparrow versus our typical 'leucophrys' subspecies has been called
into serious question recently, most notably by David Sibley on his

I recently photographed a pale-lored, orange-billed immature WCSP in
North Carolina and posted the images to my blog here:

Just scroll past the junco photos to get to the WCSP. In the article
are links to Sibley's posts on the subject. It seems that we cannot
currently identify 'gambelii' with confidence in the east. This
doesn't make these birds any less interesting, and kudos to John for
paying attention to such detail.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT