[CT Birds] (no subject)

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Oct 22 23:18:02 EDT 2012

What follows is the section on Evening Grosbeak from the recent Winter Finch Forecast.

"EVENING GROSBEAK: This spectacular grosbeak is ABA’s Bird of the Year in 2012. We can expect some at feeders in central Ontario and probably elsewhere in the Northeast because coniferous and hardwood tree seed supplies are low. Highest breeding densities are found in areas with spruce budworm outbreaks. The larvae are eaten by adults and fed to young. Current populations are much lower than several decades ago when budworm outbreaks were much larger and more widespread."

So the reason for their presence in CT is apparently a matter of searching for food rather than an extra abundance of birds.  My understanding is that the high numbers reported two or three decades ago were an aberration resulting from the budworm outbreaks.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT