[CT Birds] LHP 10-22-12

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 00:11:32 EDT 2012

>From Greg Hanisek
10/22 New Haven, Lighthouse Point hawk watch - 401 diurnal raptors, primarily Accipiters and Falcons, but 4 Bald Eagles put the season's count over 200. Buteos were almost no-shows. Morning's non-raptor flight was thick and fast. Highlights were one flock of 61 SNOW GEESE and one flock of 20 EVENING GROSBEAKS.
Also 15,000 American Robins, 10,000 Red-winged Blackbirds, 600 Cedar Waxwings, 500 Common Grackles, 500 Canada Geese, 400 American Goldfinhes, 350 Yellow-rumped Warblers,  300 House Finches, 230 PINE SISKINS, 200 Eastern Bluebirds, 85 AMERICAN PIPITS, 65 Tree Swallows, 75 PURPLE FINCHES, 7 EASTERN MEADOWLARKS, 6 Rusty Blackbirds (probably many more), 1 Baltmore Oriole. Just tryin' to stay in the ballpark.
Thanks to Don Morgan for staying after I had to leave and logging the last 41 hawks. Also with eyes on blue skies Bill Banks, Nick Bonomo, Palul Desjardins, Sol Satin, Sara Zagorski, Dana Campbell, Steve Spector, Tom Murray, Renee Baade, Judy Moore, Flo McBride (and a young cast of dozens) and whom ever I forgot or didn't know. Special guest appearance by emeritus hawk guru Neil Currie.