[CT Birds] East Shore Park - Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Richard Payne richardpayne07 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 15:20:22 EDT 2012

East Shore Park in New Haven was hopping with activity this morning.
Highlights included a YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, juv. Bald Eagle, both
nuthatches and kinglets, 4 species of warbler, and lots of juncos.

40 species, full report below:

East Shore Park, New Haven, US-CT
Oct 23, 2012 9:17 AM - 10:47 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.72 mile(s)

Canada Goose  58     Flew over in V formation.
American Black Duck  9
Mallard  2
Double-crested Cormorant  4
Bald Eagle  1     Juv., flyover
Laughing Gull  15
Ring-billed Gull  10
Herring Gull  10
gull sp.  25
Rock Pigeon  4     flyovers
Mourning Dove  6
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1     Flew right across my path as I was walking out,
from the trees in the parking lot into the tall grass along the
                                  south fence of the WTP. Last seen flying
across the road in the bushes to the east, by the red gate.
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Eastern Phoebe  2
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  10
Red-breasted Nuthatch  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Brown Creeper  1
Carolina Wren  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  30
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  15     Most were flyovers.
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  20
Cedar Waxwing  80     Flyovers in 2 large flocks.
Common Yellowthroat  1     A scrappy looking male in the grass along the
south fence as I was walking in.
Blackpoll Warbler  2
Palm Warbler  6     conservative estimate
Yellow-rumped Warbler  12     conservative estimate
Chipping Sparrow  10     conservative estimate
Song Sparrow  6
Swamp Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  10
Dark-eyed Junco  30     conservative estimate
Red-winged Blackbird  30     flyovers
blackbird sp.  60     flyovers
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  4