[CT Birds] Save Plum Island

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Oct 24 20:46:17 EDT 2012

Last year, I had the opportunity to visit Plum Island, NY.  I was quite impressed by the habitat the island provides and it has been recognized as an Important Bird Area by Audubon.  There is currently an opportunity to make your voices heard and tell the Government Services Administration that you don't want it sold to a private entity for development.

Here is an alert and link that allows you to contact them by filling out a simple form and either using a standard letter or customizing it with your own words:
Save Plum Island!

Plum Island, an Important Bird Area off the tip of Long Island with vital habitat for the endangered Piping Plover and other wildlife, is at risk of being sold by the federal government to the highest bidder. More than 80% of the 840-acre Island is currently undeveloped, supporting a remarkable diversity of at-risk species including large concentrations of waterbirds.

The General Services Administration (GSA) has recently released a draft Environmental Impact Statement that calls for selling the entire island without any restrictions to protect the birds and other wildlife that depend on this irreplaceable Island.

Submit your public comments today to send a strong message to the GSA that Plum Island's unique natural resources must be protected.

https://secure3.convio.net/nasaud/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1331

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation