[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Activities for November

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Thu Oct 25 14:38:13 EDT 2012

Folks,

Following is the November schedule of activities of the New Haven
Bird Club.

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, November 8, 7:30 PM. Members’ Night.  Refreshments and
social half-hour at 7:00 p.m.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center,
200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the public. Notice:
Bird Book Tag Sale at the meeting. Here’s your chance to add another
15 minutes of fame to your birding memoirs. Members’ Night is a
chance to share your favorite photos and recordings of your trips and
field work, birding haunts, and memories of birds and bird club
activities—and you’ll have a most appreciative audience. We’ll have
PowerPoint and slide capability. To discuss your presentation, time
limit, and any requirements you may have, contact Indoor Program Chair
—Craig Repasz: crepasz at hotmail.com or 203.230.1697.   For more
information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Field Trips:

NHBC 19th Annual Winter Feeder Survey.  November 1, 2012 through
March 31, 2013.  This is a yearly census to determine the number and
frequency of birds visiting feeders in the greater New Haven area.
You are invited to watch and record the activity at your feeder at
least once a week for the entire time period.  Contact Peter Vitali:
203.288.0621, or vitali_peter_e at sbcglobal.net for more information.

Fargeorge Wildlife Preserve, Quinnipiac River, New Haven, CT.
Saturday, Nov 3, 8:00 a.m. Free and open to the public.  Join our
Club president for a walk at this New Haven Land Trust property along
the Quinnipiac River.  With its varied habitats, this is a good place
to see raptors, shorebirds, and waterfowl.  We’ve had Snow Goose,
Bald Eagle, and American Woodcock here.  Directions: Go south on
Quinnipiac Ave. from Rte 80. Turn right just past the RR overpass. Go
through the open gate onto the property.  Leader: Mike Horn:
203-288-1891 or mfhorn at att.net.

First Wednesday Walk : Silver Sands State Park, Milford.  Wednesday,
November 7, 8:00 a.m.  Today we’ll be looking for sea ducks and
shorebirds, rare gulls, birds of prey, and uncommon sparrows. Meet at
the main parking area at Silver Sands SP, the first large lot on the
right. We may visit other Milford locations, such as Milford Point,
Mondo Ponds, and Caswell Cove. Leader— Bill Batsford. Contact—Tina
Green: 203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director