[CT Birds] Migrating in the rain

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu Oct 25 16:32:39 EDT 2012

I think all of us who hawk-watch at Lighthouse Point have had hawks
migrating in the rain a few times. I remember once when I was there with
Bill Banks. We were driven into our cars by the rain, but looking in
different directions we could see hawks flying. Since we were seeing
different birds we quickly developed an impromptu set of hand signals to let
each other know what was going by. Not surprisingly, the species seen under
such conditions are mainly ones that don't rely heavily on soaring, such as
falcons, harriers and ospreys.

I'm sure this only happens with a fairly specific set of circumstances, such
as birds moving through favorable skies that encounter a localized storm and
just keep going.

Greg Hanisek