[CT Birds] Migrating in the rain

semismart9 at aol.com semismart9 at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 19:06:18 EDT 2012

On Tuesday, October 9th, I was at the Hawk watch site at Lighthouse Point when, at 8:18 AM... bird time, it began to rain. At the same time Steve Mayo arrived. We both sat in our cars with bthe windows just cracked to talk. He noticed Kestrels to my left, and I noticed Kestrels to his right, in the rain. We went to the Pavilion, which was somewhat protected from the rain, where we then had 27 American Kestrels, 9 Sharp-shinned Hawks and 2 Northern Harriers fly through the park, all in the rain. The next hour, the rains had quit ane we had an additional 132 hawks for the hour. Yes, they fly in the rain.

Bill Banks