[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Snow Geese etc

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 21:11:48 EDT 2012

Hi All,

A painfully slow day at the hawkwatch today was brightened up by a flock of 44 Snow Geese including one adult 'Blue Goose' and one intermediate immature. On the deck were a couple of Lincoln's and a couple of White-crowned Sparrows. Of interest though was the late pickup of 7 Red-shouldered Hawks between about 3:45 and 4:30pm - as the skies very partially cleared. My gut feeling is that even though winds are maybe furthest from ideal tomorrow, just the appearance of sun and clear skies might see some action taking place at your local hawkwatch.

As well as the Cave Swallows at Braddock today there were also apparently two Mississippi Kites working the usual track West to East around Lake Ontario - kind of interesting - gives me hope that after what has been a rather blah migration in terms on 'interesting' birds (numbers here at Quaker have been outstanding - 24k plus raptors), perhaps there is still some 'interesting' stuff out there to come our way.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich