[CT Birds] Siskins aplenty

Pamela Holden pjp.holden at comcast.net
Sat Oct 27 17:46:20 EDT 2012

I agree!  They are incredibly docile.  I am amazed at how close they come to
us and even our movement doesn't scare them off.  I'm guessing I could
easily catch them, but I won't.  And the seed... well, we can't seem to keep
up with it.

Resident sharp-shinned hawk/s take at least one daily.  Which leaves me to a
question.  Do the siskins come from an area where sharpies don't dwell?  Are
there more trees and cover so they're not easily seen and caught?  We've
been pondering this.  Even after a sharpie zooms through and takes one from
the ground on the fly, the others don't seem to react as quickly as other
yard birds.  Anyone know?
Pam Holden
Colchester CT