[CT Birds] Red Breasted NH, & usual suspects.

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Mon Oct 29 14:05:16 EDT 2012

From Arthur Shippee & Mary Porterfield:
10/29/12 - Hamden, North Lake -- Red Breasted Nuthatch at back feeder.

I put our feeders back up, sans witch's hat (aka wind sock), and it's been mobbed by House Finch, + some goldfinch, chickadees, titmice, house sparrows, a couple of blue jays, some red winged black birds, downy, and the above-noted RBNH, a rather dim bird who was waiting for a house finch to abandon its perch, while several other perches were free, even fluttering at the bird to get it to leave (no go) -- and the RBNH is at it again.  Yo, birdbrain, *try another perch!*

Well, the perch became free, and the li'l feller still had problems -- flew at it a couple of times, landed & flew away, finally landed & took one seed.  Not an efficient feeding strategy (for which, observe all the other sit-&-stuff birds).

Around Lake Whitney &c.:  2 male Hooded Mergansers, 2 Pied Billed Grebes, report of Bald Eagle, and I did see what sure seemed a B.E. head in the pine trees, so I'm pretty sure.

Yesterday had a Hairy W.P.