[CT Birds] Madison seabirds

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue Oct 30 16:30:41 EDT 2012

Passing this on for Keith Mueller.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:37 PM

Interesting seabird flurry. Finally able to get out after a few kind locals cleared Rte 148 with chain saws going west. Had to go to Madison to evaluate the damage to Jens parents house and cottage. House OK cottage hung on! Unbelievable!

Madison. Weaver Beach near Harbor Ave.-    Brought my scope and from the lee side of the cottage started watching towards Faulkners Island (sw). Immediately saw a few large Shearwaters coming from behind the Island and heading east/southeast. Unfortunately I was at sealevel and my views were from 5 to 10 seconds before getting lost in the large troughs. This lasted for an hour from 10 to 11am. Then I only saw only one after that.. Judging by the overall shape and flight patterns I would say the majority were Greater with a third Corys. Appox. 31 Shearwaters passed  by Faulkner at extreme scope range.

3 Kittiwakes seen together and 1 later as I was leaving at 1:30. . Gannets  throughout the time 35 to 50 total many plunging by Charles Reef due east of half acre reef. Many W W Scoter, common loon and Brant. Large flocks  of D C Cormorants heading west.

5 Common Terns heading east, 5 Laughing Gulls and two large very dark Terns heading west.

Excellent CT Sound-watch! But still no power!

Keith Mueller

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT