[CT Birds] Sandy birds today

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 22:52:59 EDT 2012

First, apologies to the folks whose texts and voicemails I did not
answer this afternoon. Sometime around midday or early PM I shut down
my phone to save what little battery I had left...turned it back on
later to find many messages waiting from birding friends. Sorry bout

Today I joined Frank Gallo, Jake Musser, Andy Griswold and two others
(whose last names I never got) for some seawatching in Old Saybrook.
We went from 7am til 3:30pm. There was a pretty steady stream of birds
all day except for a few lulls in the afternoon. The morning was
exceptionally busy with dozens of gannets, all 3 scoters, both loons,
Laughing/Herring/Bonaparte's Gulls, and Forster's Terns mainly leaving
the sound, heading back east towards the ocean. It was a rather
amazing day by Connecticut's standards. Our highlights are as follows
(some numbers need to be double-checked with other members of the

4 Cory's Shearwater
2 Great Shearwater
2 large shearwater sp.
7 Leach's Storm-Petrel
34 Red Phalarope (in groups of 1 to 6 all day)
7 phalarope sp. (probable Reds, views just too poor)
2 Black-legged Kittiwake (one close immature, one distant adult)
15 Common Tern (late)
100++ Forster's Tern
5 Royal Tern
1 Parasitic Jaeger

Tubenoses were still being seen in the afternoon, including most of
the storm-petrels after noon and a rather close Cory's Shearwater
right at 3:30 when we had to leave. Who knows, perhaps some stragglers
are left as they trickle back to the ocean.

Sandy Pt at sunset held a large gull roost that included 2 juvenile
Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

I managed a few records shots of a couple of the birds listed above
that I'll post in the coming days.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT