[CT Birds] inland storm birding

Folsom-O'Keefe, Corrie cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org
Wed Oct 31 09:57:54 EDT 2012

10/30/12, Wallingford/Meriden/Cheshire ponds and reservoirs.  I went out yesterday morning between 8:30a-noon, to see what I could find after the storm.  Mostly I saw the same birds that I reported on Oct. 29th with just a few exceptions.  There was a Bonaparte's Gull on Hanover Pond in Meriden and ~300 Ring-necked Ducks on Broad brook Reservoir in Cheshire.  I decide late morning to head over to the CT River in Middletown thinking that any birds that were blown inland might follow a major waterway back to the coast.  No unusual species but I did get to watch a dog fight between a Red-tailed Hawk and a Common Raven.  They were dive bombing each other for about 2 minutes.  Just how big Ravens are was obvious in that it wasn't much smaller than the Red-tail.

In the afternoon, I was at the Halloween Storm in Meriden.  2 additional Common Ravens were ominously hanging out in the parking lot. Happy Halloween all!

Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe
Meriden, CT