[CT Birds] Any reports from Long Beach, Sandy Point etc?

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Oct 31 09:58:11 EDT 2012

I'm wondering how the barrier beaches fared.  I can't imagine it wasn't worse for Long Beach than Irene was.  Has anyone gotten a look?  Was it breached?   What about Milford Point?  Is the sandbar still connected to the mainland?  Anyone gotten a look at Griswold Point?   I recall Nick was at Sandy Point in West Haven?  Was there a big overwash?   Some of these issues could end up being beneficial to beach-nesting birds by creating temporary sparsely vegetated dune habitat at a higher elevation.

Thanks for any reports folks can provide.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488

Phone: (203)264-5098 x308 (note, I currently do not have a phone at my desk, but will check messages, email is a quicker way to reach me right now)
Fax: (203)264-6332