[CT Birds] Waterford Yard birds: Purple finches; conditions in the area

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 12:20:56 EDT 2012

I reported earlier in the week that Pine Siskins, WT Sparrows, and RB Nuthatches were at my feeders.  Well, today I had a few Purple Finches show up and yesterday the FOS Juncos came into the yard as well.

Wish I could send in some messages about what is happening down here on the coast with the birds, but although our yard escaped any major damage we have two small trees down and zillions of branches, many of them pretty big, so I am pretty much stuck out in the yard.  I am not going to whine, we really dodged a bullet here in Waterford, unlike some of the nearby towns.  Our power is back on so if anyone in the area needs a refuge, contact me.

I did try to get out for a bit yesterday but could not get in to Harkness, and most roads onto the beaches and beach communities of East Lyme are either closed or impassable.   Pequot Ave in New London is pretty much destroyed, at least the lower part.  Apparently Hawks Nest Beach in Old Lyme took a terrible hit while other beach communities there came thru in better shape.

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford

Sent from my iPad