[CT Birds] Milford Point 10/30 and gate is closed

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Thu Nov 1 13:22:49 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I was down checking out the damage at the Coastal Center at Milford Point yesterday. The building survived intact, but there is a lot of debris strewn around the place. The power is out, and with all the garbage, we're keeping the gate locked until further notice. Much of Milford Point road was being dug out by backhoes and bucket loaders... as there was quite a lot of sand and mud in the streets. I'll post when the gate is open; we're hoping by Saturday.

I took a walk to check the sandbars and there were just a few shorebirds around, but one young Black-skimmer was trying to make its way up the Housatonic River, an American Bittern Flew across the Marsh, and there were 5 Horned Lark, 2 Nelson's, 2 Vesper, and 1 Ipswich Sparrow on Smith's Point. I also flushed an interesting Longspur off of the plover bar near Francis Street that flew west high, that had an odd soft rolling call followed by a clear piercing note..  we could not relocate it. It looked like it headed to Stratford, perhaps Short Beach. It would be worth keeping an eye open for odd western vagrants after the storm. Jim Dugan found 2 Cave Swallows at Milford Point after I left.

I hope everyone is well.

Frank Gallo

Life is short. Bird often.