[CT Birds] Norway spruce with fond bird memories gone here in Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 1 19:30:13 EDT 2012

While I am impressed with all the wonderful birds members of the Connecticut birding community having been finding since Hurricane Sandy I am a bit down here because of one tree causality on our property here in Washington, CT. My summer cottage here had a very large Norway spruce tree by it. When my summer cottage was more rustic and I had better hearing  for birds I used to hear (and see) some amazing birds in this Norway spruce in May, especially some great wood warblers who are known to favor spruce trees. Now who can tell what these wood warblers were I wonder? Well this Norway spruce tree has not been in the best of shape for a number of years now and was knocked down on Monday into Tuesday by Hurricane Sandy. Today I spent the day cutting off branches from my favorite old Norway spruce tree, with tree professionals coming in this afternoon to finish cleaning up this poor old Norway spruce. I have a photo in my summer cottage of this Norway spruce
 tree as a 'kid' tree, that was likely taken in the late 1920's or early 1930's. I suspect I will not be the only one missing a favorite tree after Hurricane Sandy.

David W Babington
Washington, CT