[CT Birds] Unfamiliar nocturnal flight call

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Nov 2 06:57:25 EDT 2012

It was an Evening Grosbeak.  I was stumped since it was at night, so unexpected (I thought they were day fliers) and also it seemed less burry and House Sparrow like than I'm used to (although it has been about 10 years since I've heard one ).  I'm wondering also if it might have been a western type, not the usual type we get in the east?  I found this site and it sounds most like the Type 1 or 2, not the typical eastern type 3 call, but perhaps just sounded a little less harsh since it was a single bird calling and not a flock? :
http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/1601

Patrick
Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation