[CT Birds] 11/2 New Haven area (Cattle Egret, Golden Eagles, Evening Grosbeak)

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 23:52:19 EDT 2012

Spent the day birding around the New Haven area. Meant to get into
Lighthouse Pt early but the gate was closed, so birded Ora Ave/Proto
Dr for a while instead. Then back to Lighthouse to find park still
closed, so I parked outside risking a ticket and walked in at 11:20 to
find buteos and eagles moving. Stayed til increasing cloud cover
seemed to shut things down two hours later. Checked East Shore Park
with Frank Gallo on the way home - not much there.

Highlights:
East Haven, Ora Ave/Proto Dr - CATTLE EGRET (on airport lawns as seen
from the end of the fenced off road), Nashville Warbler
New Haven, Lighthouse Pt - 2 GOLDEN EAGLES, 1 EVENING GROSBEAK
New Haven, East Shore Park - Blackpoll Warbler

Seemed like quite a good day for Golden Eagles regionally with several
reported. It's too bad that Lighthouse Pt is closed meaning that the
coverage has been poor since Sandy. Saturday should be quite good with
potential for more late-season species like Golden Eagle, Northern
Goshawk, and Rough-legged Hawk etc. And of course it's a great place
to witness finch flights. The only problem is that finding legal
parking outside the park is difficult and could require a bit of a
walk. I'm going to be down there and will try to report if the park
reopens at some point during the morning, though I bet that's
unlikely.

Now that we're into November and the temps are dropping, East Shore
Park should start to heat up with lingering passerines and swallows.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com