[CT Birds] Hammo 11/4 - EVGR, RNGR, West End - Police say off limits

Tim Antanaitis timant123 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 21:33:56 EST 2012

>From Tim Antanaitis:

11/4/12 - Madison, Hammonasset Beach State Park -- 1 RED-NECKED GREBE, 1 BLACK SCOTER, 2
NORTHERN GANNETS, 1 EVENING GROSBEAK female flyover calling, 7 SNOW BUNTINGS, 4 RED-
BREASTED NUTHATCHES

The police kicked many birders (including myself) out of the western end of the park late in the afternoon.
He seemed pretty angry about us being near all the equipment.  He herded us out of there like cattle.  I don't think
birders should venture into that area until all of the storm clean up vehicles are all moved out and the west end of
the park is opened to regular traffic.

Here's what used to be a Red-winged Blackbird (I found it hanging in a cedar on Willard's Island - probably a hawk's leftovers from lunch):
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5807120442242365058

Here's a pretty far picture of the Red-necked Grebe near Meig's jetty:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5807120315079269170

Here's a Snow Bunting:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5807120509269125826

Full ebird list for the day: