[CT Birds] Weekend in New Hampshire

Ricki Soucy rickisoucy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 20:05:57 EST 2012

Spent the 2-4th up in Ossipee New Hampshire, at Calumet Lutheran on Lake Ossipee.  As I always go up to the area the first weekend in November,I have a long list of past birding species and numbers. Most years the Red Breasted and White Breasted nuthatches are in fairly small numbers, similar to what I see up there in the summer.  This year the numbers of Red Breasts are probably triple from most years and the Whites are almost non existant.  Noticed the pine cone and acorn amounts were much smaller than normal, and that the number of red squirrels was also down.  Also saw a huge flock of cedar waxwings, on Saturday morning and again right before leaving on Sunday afternoon.  Had a long hike up the Kancamagus, at a spot called Boulder Loop.  Cones and acorns were just as scarce there, and other than a raven and few blue jays, there were absolutely no other birds around.  The man leading the hike said they had large flocks of siskins at the
 Conferance Center feeders back in early to mid October, but they haven't seen any in two weeks.   Also had a lone adult Loon in the cove on Sunday morning.  Usually only the young ones are around at this time of the year, so it was great to see him/her.
Ricki Soucy