[CT Birds] Hammo White Pelican, Crossbills

Jerry Connolly birdshop at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 6 13:37:16 EST 2012

From Jerry Connolly and Private Bird Walk with the Ross family from Glastonbury:
11/6/12 - Hammonasset SP -- WHITE PELICAN (leisurely floating over at 40ft while we stood at the beginning of Willard's trail - drifting southwest), 8 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS (seconds later from the same spot in cedars) They gave us a great look before departing west., WINTER WREN (Willard's), 4 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, 2 SAW-WHET OWLS (Willard's), BARRED OWL (Willard's)

Note: I realize that owl reports are officially forbidden to prevent harassment.  I agree with this policy in as far as nests are concerned, but disagree for sightings during migration or dispersion.  For many, a sighting of any owl species is cause for real excitement.  Reports like this one alert folks to times of owl movements (8 Saw-Whets have been seen on Willard's in the past 4 weeks) and, hopefully inspire them to search suitable habitats near their own homes.
How do others feel?

<(` )
    ( >)~

The Audubon Shop