[CT Birds] reporting owls

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 18:29:55 EST 2012

I agree with Jerry that there is not any harm in reporting when migrating owls are moving through and giving general locations.  I did just that with a saw-whet a few weeks ago from my neighborhood.  However, I think reporting owls from high traffic areas like Willard's Island may not be a good idea, as it would encourage people to rummage through the Willard's area and disturb the owls on the days that they are there.  Lest I sound like a hypocrite, I admit that I used to spend a lot of time searching Hammonasset for roosting saw-whets.  I also have no idea how much stress a roosting owl incurs if birders are quiet and maintain a respectful distance.

Glenn Williams