[CT Birds] reporting owls

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 6 18:46:05 EST 2012

The rule about not reporting owls came to be back in the pre-CT Birds era but at a time when the daily report was being compiled.  The location of certain roosting owls was given on that report and a small but significant number of birders harassed the birds, even going as far as to shake the trees the birds were reported to have been in.  In this light it was not a difficult decision to cut that sensitive information off the reports.  I get the reasons why more information is better than less, but in this case, I still think it's a good idea to refrain from reporting the locations of roosting owls.  There is no reason to believe that again a couple bad apples wouldn't spoil the whole bunch.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT