[CT Birds] reporting owls

Tim Antanaitis timant123 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 20:53:40 EST 2012

I agree with Glenn and Jamie.  I think reporting owls in neighborhoods or just naming a town is fine and will help the
average birder to know they are around in the state.  I found a saw-whet owl on Sunday in a high traffic area and I
did not post it on the list.  However, because I had not seen one in 10 years (I feel bad about disturbing them and
don't normally try to find them), I couldn't help but tell a few birders who were at the location, but before the end of
the day at least 15 people had seen the owl.  I went back with a few other birders later in the day and it had not
moved - it was in the same tree and on the same branch.  So this is an example of how birders can be quiet and not
flush an owl.  I do think this has a lot to do with the specific temperament of the saw-whet owl and most species of
owl would most likely have flown off.  Reflecting on it now, I'll keep the future owls in high traffic areas to myself or
the group I'm with.

Tim Antanaitis
Middletown