[CT Birds] mystery bird in Guilford

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Tue Nov 6 22:24:42 EST 2012

Given Amy's nice series of pictures I think it's quite clear that this bird
is a juvenile Cooper's Hawk:
It lacks the bulk and powerful look of N Goshawk, which approaches a
Red-tailed Hawk in size. Its very lightly streaked belly and clear undertail
coverts differ from the heavy streaking Gos shows in this area; its has a
short, weak supercillium compared to the more prominent one of N Gos; the
white back mottling is fine for Cooper's, but the bird pictured lacks the
boldly checkered appearance usually shown on the back of a Gos..

In more general terms, Gos is a shy forest bird (except when someone
approaches its nest); Coop is a bold suburban feeder-raider. It's certainly
not impossible to have a Gos show up in your yard but Coop is much, much
more likely.

Juv. Gos is probably one of the most misidentified birds in places where it
occurs. Actually, to be more accurate, large female Cooper's Hawks and imm
Red-shouldered Hawks are often misidentified as Goshawks. I've even see a
photo of Red-tailed eatig a gull that was called a Gos. One problem is that
all of those species can show a supercillium, which is the probably the
best-known Goshawk field mark. It's a good example why single field marks
are seldom, if ever, good things to hang an ID on.

Voting for IDs probably isn't the right term, since there's a right and
wrong answer.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury