[CT Birds] mystery bird in Guilford

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 6 22:50:51 EST 2012

I'd like to provide a couple more irrelevant field marks, because Greg has provided such a great post, and Amy has provided so many great photos!  The mantle and flight feathers are warmly colored and uniform, with only a few white spots (typical of Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawk juvenile birds).  The back feathers are not "scaly" like a Gos.

In none of the images are there any streaks or spots in the undertail coverts.  Very rarely, you might encounter a lightly streaked Gos.  But if you saw this particular bird, even at a considerable distance, it would still give the impression of a buffy head and relatively white chest and belly.  The bird has "clean pants."  This Cooper's field mark can be seen at considerable distance.

Finally, check out the under-tail.  The bands in the retrices are straight across, not the least bit wavy, and with no light borders, no matter how faint or thin.

In general, plumage-wise, Juvenile NG presents itself as a uniformally dark, dirty, scaly bird.  The plumage of this this chicken-hawk doesn't come close to that description.

Steve Mayo
Bethany