[CT Birds] Congrats Paul D on your 5,000 trip!

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Tue Nov 6 22:54:55 EST 2012

First of all, let me echo the congratulations. You would be hard-pressed to
find a more dedicated birder, and one who truly loves and derives pure joy
from everyday observations of birds, than Paul Desjardins. This comes
through immediately any time you meet him in the field. And he's out there
all the time.

I do feel compelled to pile on a bit on Steve's reference to eBird. This is
in no way blind-siding Paul. I badger him good-naturedly every Monday at
Lighthouse Point about what a contribution his records would be to eBird.

For everyone else I would put it this way (especially if you're just getting
into keeping bird records): if you don't record your sightings in eBird, a
secure, searchable database operated by Cornell U and National Audubon),
they're very likely to become the equivalent of your mother throwing away
your baseball cards (or whatever the female equivalent of that catastrophe
might be). Going back and entering decades of data may be too much to ask,
but I'm in the process of entering more than 30 years of notebooks into
eBird. I really value my data and I realize that even if I donate those
notebooks to a library or conservation organization, there's very little
chance any researcher will ever be able to extract meaningful data in a
practical way. They'll probably deteriorate and eventually be scrapped. But
everything I've put into eBird is available by species, by location or by
any other means data can be sorted.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury