[CT Birds] Penfield Reef from Sandy

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Wed Nov 7 00:32:47 EST 2012

I finally just got power back a few hours ago after not having it for a week, so I apologize if this is outdated. I just wanted to comment that Hurricane Sandy has seriously altered Penfield Reef. I have waited for a few low tides over the past few days hoping that they were unusual, but it appears that what I feared has come to pass. Most of Penfield Reef has been washed away, at least for now, due to the incredible east winds. It used to extend to almost the Penfield lighthouse, and now it barely gets to about a third of that distance. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I see this as being a major downside to the bird life here, from shorebirds to sea ducks. I hope that the condition will change, although I don't see how it could, and by now I hope that everyone is safe from the storm and has power restored.

James Purcell
Fairfield