[CT Birds] Meigs Point Morning Seawatch

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Wed Nov 7 15:09:46 EST 2012

 From Meigs Point 10:00 am to 12:30 pm, Started on the jetty, then
from the car when the rain and snow started. Excellent Gannet flight
which occurred all the time I was there with only a few slow intervals
when visibilty was limited by the snow showers. The Gannets were all
flying west in a continual stream often with a dozen at the same time
arriving together. Most passed just outside the jetty, many flew close
to the beach passing over the jetty, and a few groups fished and
plunge-dived within a hundred yards from the beach.

The majority of the Gannets were adults, with a handful of second and
third winter, and three in first winter plumage.

GANNETS- over 350 in the time period I was there
Red-throated Loon- 7
Common Loon- 3
Horned Grebe- 1 (swimming at the end of the jetty)
Common Terns- 7
Forster's Terns- 6
Laughing Gulls- 3

KITTIWAKE- 1 (Very probable) seen well off shore following the Gannets
displaying typical flight behaviour. Just too far with binoculars to
get a positive look, but it apperaed to be a first winter with black
'M' visible on wings.

SNOW GEESE- 5 (2 adults- 3 juvenile) The first birds that I saw when I
arrived at Meigs. The five Geese came from over the Sound heading
NOrth. They dropped their wings and appeared to be wanting to land in
the marsh outside of Cedar Island. They circled the marsgh once and
then continued towards Clinton where they dropped down near Kelsey's

Scoters (dark winged) 17 (too far to ID)
Red-breasted Mergansers- 7
BLack Ducks- 65
Scaup- 125 (three flocks appeared to be mostly Greater)
Bufflehead- 2
Greater Yellowlegs- 3
Semi-palmated Plover- 3
BLack-bellied Plover- 5
Dunlin- 23
Ruddy Turnstone- 2

Red-tailed Hawk- 2
Coopers Hawk- 3
Sharp-shinned Hawk- 2
Merlin- 1 (harassing a female Redtail)
Peregrine- 1

SNOW BUNTINGS- 13 (started in the Nature Center parking lot, than flew
to Meigs Beach)
Horned Larks- 9
Yellow-rumped Warblers- 11 (on the beach getting out of the wind)

Keith Mueller