[CT Birds] Hartford area wild goose chase

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 10 12:03:27 EST 2012

>From Jamie Meyers:
11/10 -- Rocky Hill, Rocky Hill Meadows -- 2 BRANT continue, as previously reported by Sara Z.
East Windsor, Broad Brook Pond -- 1 SNOW GOOSE and 4 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE mixed in with a couple thousand Canadas.

I checked multiple locations for stuff and those were the highlights, along with a late Osprey flying over I-84 in Manchester near the Vernon town line. Goodwin Park had a lot of geese but they spread out over the golf course closer to Jordan Lane and were thus hard to survey. Snipsic and Crystal Lakes were a bust, as was Wethersfield Cove.

The Brant were in the last field before you hit the river, as approached from the Rocky Hill side. Hopefully they will avoid the numerous hunters that were on the river and in the Wethersfield section of the meadows. I was not expecting to find a lot of birds on Broad Brook Pond, since it was 11:00 AM and I figured they'd be off feeding in the fields, but the place was jumping. I am certain that the 4 white-fronts is the most I have ever seen in one place in CT. They were all way off in the back and keep blinking in and out of view but I saw all four during my last pass. I did not see any Cackling or Barnacle Goose.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT