[CT Birds] Hartford area wild goose chase

Jhseed at aol.com Jhseed at aol.com
Sat Nov 10 13:09:55 EST 2012

A couple of years ago, there were 4 Greater White-Fronted and 1 Snow Goose
hanging around Horse Barn Hill in Storrs. Could these be the same birds?

Jim Harris

In a message dated 11/10/2012 12:03:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ctredbird2 at comcast.net writes:

>From  Jamie Meyers:
11/10 -- Rocky Hill, Rocky Hill Meadows -- 2 BRANT continue,  as previously
reported by Sara Z.
East Windsor, Broad Brook Pond -- 1 SNOW  GOOSE and 4 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED
GEESE mixed in with a couple thousand  Canadas.

I checked multiple locations for stuff and those were the  highlights,
along with a late Osprey flying over I-84 in Manchester near the  Vernon town
line. Goodwin Park had a lot of geese but they spread out over the  golf
course closer to Jordan Lane and were thus hard to survey. Snipsic and  Crystal
Lakes were a bust, as was Wethersfield Cove.

The Brant were in  the last field before you hit the river, as approached
from the Rocky Hill  side. Hopefully they will avoid the numerous hunters
that were on the river  and in the Wethersfield section of the meadows. I was
not expecting to find a  lot of birds on Broad Brook Pond, since it was 11:00
AM and I figured they'd  be off feeding in the fields, but the place was
jumping. I am certain that the  4 white-fronts is the most I have ever seen in
one place in CT. They were all  way off in the back and keep blinking in
and out of view but I saw all four  during my last pass. I did not see any
Cackling or Barnacle Goose.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT