[CT Birds] Saw something interesting today.

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 10 13:14:40 EST 2012

Saw something interesting today.
With this day becoming warmer, and the snow melting fast, I noticed a Junco
hopping around near the trunk of a Maple tree from my second floor window. I was
interested, so I took the time to observe. It appears this Junco was gleaning
the last chance to get some insect protein before winter settles in for good.
The insects were gathered on the trunk facing the warm sun side of this tree,
and this opportunistic Junco was taking full advantage of this.
With nocks, i spotted several small Fly species on the bark that she was
consuming at a rate of one every 10 seconds or so.

Opportunity is surely the life blood of all wild creatures.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton