[CT Birds] Bird Calls For Hunters: A Little OT

holmses at cox.net holmses at cox.net
Sat Nov 10 14:59:47 EST 2012

[CTbirds] A liitle more owl info
Hunters use owl calls for a couple of reasons. The first is that they are turkey alarm clocks. They wake the turkeys up in the morning. The Toms and the Hens are quite often foraging separately during the the day and when they roost during the night they will pick the nearest tree. When they wake up in the morning they start looking for each other by gobbling. This makes them much easier to find (as we all know). As we also all know, crows hate predators, cats, hawks or  owls, species doesn't really matter to them. The crows aren't hunted as a food source, but as practice (they are quite intelligent and difficult to shoot), and as they are quite capable of destroying a cornfield, hunters will shoot a few as favor to farmers who grant them access to their land during hunting season. In Connecticut, Crows may be shot year round. Hope this helps, Dave H