[CT Birds] ID Help: Franklin's Gulls?

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 10 16:16:37 EST 2012

Great photo challenge, Mike!

This gull shows spots on the primaries, but they are relatively small.  I believe that this is non-breeding plumage Laughing Gull.  A Franklin's Gull would show thicker - wider? more round? I'm having trouble with choice of words here - spots.

The Laughing Gull has very tiny, insignificant primary spots in breeding plumage.

Another noteworthy field mark is the very indistinct "hood".  The nonbreeding Franklin's Gull would have a much darker, more pronounced hood.

These field marks are so subtle.  I always wonder how many CT Franklin's Gulls I've merely walked past!

Steve Mayo