[CT Birds] other irruptives to look for

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 08:03:47 EST 2012

In addition to the species we have already seen (so many finches and
RBNU) or expect to see later this season (Pine Grosbeak, Hoary
Redpoll, Bohemian Waxwing), we should also be on the lookout for two
more: Boreal Owl and Boreal Chickadee.

Word from Quebec and Ontario is that some Boreal Owls are currently on
the move along with all those saw-whets. A Boreal was recently banded
at Long Point, Ontario. All roosting saw-whets should be
double-checked for this species. It's been a while since CT has had a
Boreal Owl...we're due!

While I have not seen any reports of out-of-range Boreal Chickadees,
Black-capped Chickadees have been seen migrating in small to
moderate-sized flocks along the coast over the past two weeks or so.
Since BOCHs around here are often seen with these migrant BCCH flocks,
it stands to reason that these flocks are worth checking. They may
also appear at feeders.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT