[CT Birds] Westport;Snow Buntings

Mike Warner mjwarner at optonline.net
Sun Nov 11 14:28:23 EST 2012

11/11/12  Sherwood Island State Park, 8 am to 12:30 pm,  -   20 Snow Buntings and one Vesper Sparrow.

     Sherwood Island State Park re-opened Friday after the devastating Hurricane Sandy passed by nearly two weeks ago.  Quite a few trees were toppled and their sawn pieces were brought to the model airplane parking lot.  I was told the refuse trucks were running 24/7 trucking those pieces away. There is still a very large pile of wood on the model airplane parking lot. The State has done a good job cleaning up the park and some work continues.  While they do that it appears the east side parking lot is closed.   I parked in the pavilion lot and started hiking.  A flock of 20 Snow Buntings were spooked off the model airplane field and flew off in the direction of the east beach.  The Vesper Sparrow was seen in the treeline behind the Nature Center.  47 species seen.

Mike Warner
Wilton, CT.