[CT Birds] 11/11 - Fairfield Highlights

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 16:27:32 EST 2012

>From Alex Burdo
11/11 - Fairfield, Pine Creek -- 1 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, 1 RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCH, 3 WINTER WREN, 1 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, 1 LINCOLN'S SPARROW, 1
PURPLE FINCH, 3 PINE SISKIN. Also 1 Pied-billed Grebe, 1 Northern Parula, 1
Blackpoll Warbler (4 warbler species)
Fairfield, Metro Conservation Area -- 1 SNOW BUNTING, 1 VESPER SPARROW, 1
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW. Also 28 American Pipit, 1 Palm Warbler
(hypochrysea), 1 Common Yellowthroat.
Fairfield, Fairfield University -- 7 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL, 1 RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCH, 5 Wild Turkey.

The Fairfield U crossbills were in the evergreens between Fitzgerald Way
and Bellarmine Road, next to the Bellarmine Museum of Art. This spot was
specifically chosen for its crossbill potential. I was standing along
Fitzgerald Way when I first heard vocalizations, and then watched as 7
WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS flew out of the top of a spruce and headed west,
calling. Not much for looks, but I'll take it!

Alex Burdo
Fairfield