[CT Birds] Northwest corner

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 11 18:44:35 EST 2012

Paul Carrier's note likely explains why Jay Kaplan and I had a hard time finding winter finches on a small sweep of Canton this morning.  We got what the cat shot at.  The highlights of our sojourn were 7 Ruddy Ducks, a Pied-billed Grebe and a female Bufflehead on Nepaug Reservoir.  We did note several locations in town where there spruces and pines with decent cones though. Maybe I'll attempt to feed later on when the bears finally hibernate.  They are ruthless on feeders up here.

I went further into the northwest corner this afternoon in a successful trip to see the Allen's Hummingbird in Great Barrington, MA.  I had a single Snow Bunting at Goodwin Dam and several Lesser Scaup on an unmarked mine pond in North Canaan, palling around with several hundred Ring-necked Ducks.  On the down side, there was nothing of note on the water at Barkhamsted, Goodwin or Colebrook Reservoirs, Tyler Lake or the Action Wildlife pond in Goshen.  I was disappointed that the road along Colebrook Reservoir is now gated.  I don't know if that's a seasonal thing or they did it because the water level there is much higher than it was a month ago.

Near dusk tonight I saw a couple of bats flying around.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT